Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Need to Know who Unplugged the Scoreboard

We were well beyond our previous record and each day we set a new record for "Days without a Work-related Death". We had the electronic scoreboard all fancied up and installed on the marquee out front. Last night when I left I specifically remember looking at it and thinking, "One-hundred-twelve days! Really? Now that's impressive!".

As I drove away my chest swelled with pride and my eyes began to water. I was jolted back to reality when I realized that I had mistakenly driven across the walk-bridge that spans the corporate lake/pollution reservoir and out into the yard. It's amazing how the brain works. I mean, the bridge is very narrow yet I kept the car on it without even knowing what I was doing.

I found my way out to the street and headed home. When I arrived and pulled into the garage. It was the damnedest thing, there was a weed eater stuck in my front bumper. I'll tell you right now this kind of thing hasn't happened to me since 2003. I promptly removed the device and never gave it another thought.

Now, this morning when I drove up, I saw a big fat ZERO on the "Days-without-a-work-related-death" scoreboard. Obviously, someone must have unplugged it accidentally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Steve Porter the guy I hired to take care of all the landscaping and the lawn. I mean this place looks terrible. It looks like he has not mowed or cut any weeds in a month or more. We should have a talk with him or maybe you should go fire him.

Flanksham

Crock, Inc. said...

I'm guessing he took his last paycheck and moved to Mexico. I have not seen him for quite a while. His cell phone was mysteriously rigning in my driveway the other day. I guess he came by to put in his resignation but I wasn't home. I can only assume he must have turned in his company phone by throwing it on the ground. Let's replace him. Anyone on your team interested in the position of Organic Asset Control and Outdoor Pretty-making??